History of the BayLDA as a supervising authority on its way to independency
Starting from the 1st of March 1978, after the German Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG) was passed, each of the seven Regional Governments in Bavaria has been appointed as a Data Protection Authority for the Private Sector. In addition, the State Commissioner on Data Protection for the Public Sector was appointed. The rise of new media, especially the internet, made it necessary to concentrate more specialized knowledge. Therefore, on the 1st of January 2002, the Government of Middle Franconia was chosen to be the centralized State Data Protection Authority for the Private Sector. In order to underline the importance of this supervising authority, on the 1st of March 2009, this department was transformed into the newly formed Bavarian State Authority on Data Protection for the Private Sector. It was set up outside the structure of the Government of Middle Franconia. However, the location of the office was kept the same. On the 1st of August 2011, the Bavarian Data Protection Act was changed in order to adopt a complete independency of the Bavarian State Authority on Data Protection. This was one of the conclusions after the European Court of Justice ruled in favor of independent national data protection authorities. Due to the different legal frameworks dealing with the private and the public sector, Bavaria has kept on two separate authorities: The Bavarian State Authority on Data Protection and the State Commissioner on Data Protection. With regard to other Federal States, the respective State Commissioner on Data Protection has the jurisdiction for both sectors.
History of the Residence of Ansbach "Ansbacher Markgrafenschloss"
In 1331, the burggraves of Nuremberg bought the city of Ansbach. Around 1400, they constructed a moated castle which later got connected to wall of the city. 1456 Ansbach became a residential city. After several extensions during the 15th and 16th century, the moated castle became a renaissance castle in 1587/88. During the 18th century, it was converted in today's baroque residence. In 1791, after the Margravate Ansbach was transferred to the Kingdom of Prussia, the representatives of Prussia decorated some rooms in a classical manner. During 1806, as the Government of the Kingdom of Bavaria, responsible for the area of Rezat, started to work within the Residence of Ansbach, the residential areas needed to be converted into offices. Today, a substantial part of the Government of Middle Franconia (RegMfr) and the Bavarian State Authority on Data Protection for the Private Sector (BayLDA) is located within the Residence of Ansbach. The very rich decorated State Apartments on the first floor are not used by any administrative authority. They are open to the public (a guided tour is about 45 minutes). Further information are available on the official website of the Bayersichen Verwaltung der staatlichen Schlösser, Gärten und Seen.